Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Graduation

So last week we graduated our September 2006 DTS. They have been on outreach in southern Ukraine and Moldova for three months, while Torben and I were in the States and Denmark. We had them back in Kyiv for a week for debriefing and graduation. The point of that week is to help the students to begin the long process of thinking through what they have experienced and learned over the past six months of DTS, and also to prepare them for returning to their families, friends, and churches.
I usually really like debrief week because it's an exciting chance to hear what God has been doing in the students' lives. I love to hear their testimonies. They were all really learning in the midst of serving and reaching out to the lost. I am very proud of all of them. My highlight of the week was when Torben and I and the outreach leader, Krista, sat down with each student individually to give them feedback and to hear their plans for the future. For me that was wonderful! Nearly all of the twelve students are planning on staying in full time ministry, either in YWAM, their home churches, or other missions projects. Some are getting training first and some are jumping right in. I was so excited to hear all of it!!
The other thing that happened that day was that I was reminded of why I love what I do so much. I have lost sight of it for a while now. I love one-on-one counseling. I love sitting and looking another person in the eyes and trying hard to hear their heart. And more than anything, I love when it happens that I have no idea what to say to a person and I am forced to turn to God for what to say. My wisdom is very limited and I often don't know what to say. But it's so exciting to know that God is speaking through me and directing me. And I knew that that was happening because by the end of the day, I was exhausted. Pouring myself out for people is thrilling and exhausting. I was reminded once again that I love discipleship. Maybe I would be better in counseling or something more focused on one-on-one meetings than DTS. But you know, much as DTS frustrates me at times, I love DTS too.
Torben and I are spending time in prayer these days about our future. We really don't know where God is leading us after our commitment in Kyiv is done at the end of the year. Maybe longer here or maybe somewhere else. We don't know. But we do know that we are called to discipleship. We both love it. And as I was reminded during debrief week, God is still using me and speaking through me in discipleship.

P.S. - My parents and two younger sisters are leaving for Malawi, Africa tomorrow morning. Please pray for them and their ministry time there. If you want to see my two newest nephews and get updates on how my parents' time in Africa goes, check out www.drrickt.blogspot.com (Yes, my parents have a blog!! I'm still in shock!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home