Monday, June 05, 2006

The Scandinavian Invasion

Last week was a unique experience in this DTS. So far, the speakers have only been from Ukraine, Canada, or the US. Aside from Monday, when we did team building exercises, the rest of the week we had Scandinavian lecturers!
David Holme, the base leader from YWAM Belarus, was here to speak Tuesday to Thursday on Leadership. He's Norwegian, so Torben had someone else on the base to speak Danish with (don't ask me how that works, but he could speak Danish and David would speak Norwegian and they would understand each other).
The teaching was really cool and challenging for me. He talked a lot about the qualities a leader needs to have. I've struggled sometimes not thinking I'm a good leader because I don't have the typical qualities you assume a leader should have - liking to be in front and in the center of attention or being really really talkative or something. But one of the big qualities David talked about the need to have is vision for the people who are following you and the commitment to do whatever you can to make that vision a reality. I know for me, my vision is to see young Christians come to true freedom in Christ as they learn to live in the light. God has been teaching me so much the past few years about the freedom His truth offers, and I want to see others come to that freedom that I have only begun to taste. So maybe I have a few leadership qualities anyways.
Friday another wonderful Scandinavian taught the DTS. Torben! This time, the topic was a subject that is a true passion of his - relationships. His heart really shone through as he taught about godly relationships between men and women. He shared a lot of his own experiences as a single guy. It was a great experience for him. It's something he's been wanting to do for a while and he hopes to do more of in the future. And the students really enjoyed what he taught about. He didn't have time to finish his teaching, so they asked him to teach another day. I think he will next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home