Sunday, May 28, 2006

Merete

I was going to do a nice long blog about the teaching topic of two weeks ago - Biblical Worldview and the Kingdom of God. It was so entirely interesting and thought provoking and convicting. It really challenged all of us, staff and students alike to take a good hard look at our lives and where we are not living in line with a Biblical Worldview. I was going to write a long blog about it, but Torben beat me to it. It's on his blog and it's really really worth a read. www.torbenriisjensen.blogspot.com I would have my own things to add to or subtract from it, but it is basically a combination of all we have talked about and been mulling over.

On to my topic of choice...Merete!! Torben's sister came here last weekend for five days or so. It was wonderful to have her here! It was supposed to rain the whole time she was here, but it only happened once for five minutes! She got a glimpse of what our lives are like staffing the DTS and all of the craziness that surrounds it and she definately got a taste of what it's like to be in a city where everything is in Cyrillic so you have no chance of finding your way around anywhere unless you know the alphabet!

We took her all over to see the sights of Kiev, even seeing a few things that were new to us. We bought some souveniers, ate some McDonalds, visited open air markets, all sorts of things. But the best part of it for me was having a buddy here. I've been pretty lonely lately because our phone hasn't been working and Skype sucks, so I haven't talked to anyone at home for nearly a month. And I haven't really connected with too many girls here in Kiev, so I've been lonely for some girl time. Merete supplied that in abundance. It was so great for me. She's a great friend.

The first time I went to Denmark, Merete was the person I was most afraid to meet. She and Torben are such good friends and I knew her opinion mattered a lot to him, and having heard more than a few horror stories about meeting the boyfriend's family, I was intimidated. Who knew that two and a half years later, she'd be one of my good friends? Not only was it good to have girl company, she also encouraged us a lot.

Sometimes from the inside it's hard to see if you're making any difference or if you're just wasting your time. It can be discouraging at times. But Merete pointed out all of the ways she could see that we are doing a lot here and making a real difference. So, to sum it all up, it was a great and refreshing visit! Okay, I'll finish my praise song now :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home