Sunday, January 15, 2006

Borsch heaven!

We got to the internet cafe after a nice morning of church and lunch with some people we met there. And I finally got to have borsch again. What is that, you may ask? I'm glad you did. It's a delicious, DELICIOUS beet soup, a specialty of Ukraine. It looked a bit iffy to me the first time I saw it, but it's so so so so so good. I've missed it in my year away from Ukraine. Having it again was a great experience.

Torben and I rented an apartment here in Kiev! It was the third apartment we looked at on our first day here. While we were looking at it the first time, Torben decided to open a little door that leads out to a very old balcony type of thing that I'm not sure I trust. When he went to close the door again, he wasn't quite sure it was completely shut, so he leaned against it a bit to make sure. A very loud CRASH was heard and we all turned to see that, lo and behold, the window on the door had shattered completely! What an impression to make on our future landlord!!

But, we got the apartment anyways (the window's fixed now) and have spent the last three days doing some heavy duty cleaning. Torben spent two days scrubbing the toilet area. It's starting to look really really good, though. It's getting cozy for us and it's amazing to have a place of our very own. We've gone from my parents' house to Torben's parents' house to our friends' basement, so it's our first place! So exciting!!

Random story - The other day, we came to the Venetsia, the houseboat where the main base is located, and we met this missionary from Atlanta, GA named Jeff. He works with another organization. We started talking to him and soon discovered that he has 10 children! 10!! Two sets of twins under the age of 3! He has been a pretty successful businessman in Atlanta, then God called them to Ukraine, so they sold everything and here they are! Craziness! But cool.

On that note, I will close up this with a shoutout to my new friend, Inge. She's the only other Dane we have met in YWAM and she's been here in Kiev for 3 years. So Torben has someone to speak Danish with. Tonight, she bought pizza and invited Torben and I over to eat with her. A bunch of others joined us and it was a very hyggelig (cozy) time :) Yay, Inge!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home